The College of St. Scholastica is a Catholic Benedictine institution and the only independent private college in northeastern Minnesota. The College was founded in 1912 by a group of pioneering Benedictine Sisters who offered college courses to six young women. Today St. Scholastica educates an ecumenical and co-educational student body of more than 4,350 and has graduated more than 26,000 alumni. It is well known for undergraduate and graduate programs in health care, education and management, including MBAs in rural health care and in leadership and change.
The College is guided by the Benedictine Values of community, hospitality, respect, stewardship and love of learning. The 186-acre Duluth campus is on a ridge overlooking Lake Superior. Campus buildings include: majestic Tower Hall, Science Center, Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel, Burns Wellness Commons, 500-seat Mitchell Auditorium, College library, St. Scholastica Theatre, and residence halls and apartments. The College recently opened a new Health Science Center at BlueStone on Woodland Avenue, which houses graduate health science programs and the maurices Community Clinic.